[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Aldus Freehand 3.1 on Windows 7
Change font size
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:11 am

FreeHand support

Aldus Freehand 3.1 on Windows 7

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Re: Aldus Freehand 3.1 on Windows 7

Postby FFH Mark » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:26 pm

JP, since I don't know enough about Windows, you can to try XP and see what happens. It sounds like there is only the virtualization mode mentioned in the various forums.

But another thought is the reason are you installing version 3.1... is it to open old FreeHand 3 files?
If that is the case then you can move up to FreeHand 4 or 5.5 as these were the last two versions that can open a FH3 file.

—Mark

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby spike321 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:21 am

Mark,
I do a lot of graphics and text work and have a lot of FH3 floppy's. Compared to Illustrator and Photoshop I found Aldus a lot better to use. Fact is I was using that old program right up to the time I lost my hard drive and ended up with another computer with Windos 7. I might have found the solution, I talked to a guy today that has an old computer with a Windows 98 operating system that appears to be fully functional. Included is the monitor, keyboard and mouse which leaves me to look for a compatible printer. My plan is to devote the old system to Freehand 3.1. I'll take a look at Freehand 4 & 5 and see what they're all about, if I can get 3.1 installed and running, there's no reason not to jump up to 4 or 5.

Appreciate all your help.
JP
spike321

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby spike321 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:11 am

UPDATE:
I found an old HP tower with Windows 98 os + monitor and keyboard dirt cheap and thought I was in hog heaven! Plugged everything in and started the Aldus install. Everything went great until I got to Disk #6 of 14 and received a message “Error Carrying Out The Installation” Internal Error: Bad File Position. So, I figured maybe a bad disk after all there old. Since I have two sets of installation disks I figured the second set would be ok. NO, Disk #6 in the second set gets me the same error message! Now I'm scratching my head thinking there's a glitch in the hard drive but, I'm going to try it a couple more times before I start smoking rope!
JP
spike321

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Interesting to hear about getting FreeHand 3 loaded and running using the install disks. But 14 disks(!)...it's hard to believe it took that many to install an application, yet I still have my FH3 package from the 90's. Good luck with this and if you can't get that #6 disk to complete the process, you may need to jump up to FH4 or FH5.

Let us know how it goes.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby spike321 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Burned some midnight oil kept trying the instals. Couple times I got by disk #6 only to get hung up on disk #9. So, I kept cleaning out the old installs and starting over. At one point I got to disk #13 of 14 before I got the error! Guess I'll continue to search for a FH 4 or FH 5.5, I think the hard drive in this relic of a tower (HP Pavilion 6653C) is ok but have no way of knowing until I can try a test run of some other program on it.

JP
spike321

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby spike321 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Switched directions again. Found a set of Freehand 3.1 and 4.0 floppy's for Macintosh and a Mac IIcx computer. So, now the hunt is on for a compatible color monitor. Been told that just about any VGA monitor will work with the right adapter but, would rather stick with apple. Just missed a M1298 16" color monitor. The IIcx computer has a graphics card and Ethernet card, 8mg ram and 80mg hard drive. Once I locate the monitor and a LaserWriter printer I SHOULD be ready to go with Aldus!
spike321

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby spike321 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:58 am

Changed directions again. Found a set of Macintosh floppys for Freehand 3.1 and 4.0 and a Mac IIcx computer. Now I'm searching for a monitor to match the computer, just missed a Mac M1298 16" color monitor. I've been told adapters are available to enable using later VGA monitors but, would rather stay with Mac. The computer does have a Micron Xceed video card
spike321

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Wow, this project is going retro. I used a Mac IIci for many years with early installs of FreeHand. I'd be looking at used, thrift, and recycling centers for old Mac compatible monitors and models. In my area, I see these all the time... cheap.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Herbert » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:08 am

Freehand 3.1, Photoshop 1, Illustrator 3 and all the other classics in this handy image plus emulator for Windows:
http://osvirtual.net/en/macos-7-5-3withsoft/
Herbert

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby spike321 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 am

Well, I've visited every thrift shop and flea market in our little town without results. Got a daughter in Tucson, may just have to pay her a visit unannounced!
spike321

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

PreviousNext

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum