Change font size
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 am

FreeHand support

FH Rosetta, 10.6, confused, help !

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

FH Rosetta, 10.6, confused, help !

Postby Motoeuro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi all,

thanks for looking at this post, please allow me to explain my awkward position....

Iam running Freehand on my G5 Mac in Tiger, yes, Tiger 10.4.11. As you can imagine its a nightmare as the old Motorola chipsets are now way, way out of date and I am having issues. So, desparate to upggrade but I use FH for 90% of my work; Brochures, ad artwork, point of sale etc.

I am considering a Macbook Pro, but I know FH just wont work with Lion, so I need an older MBP running Snow Leopard. (knowing Apple I am assuming you cannot get a MBP running Lion and go back to SN). However, I have read that Rosetta (essential for FH) was removed from SN after 10.6.4.

So, A) is this correct and I am goosed ?
If I grab a retail copy of SN on Ebay and upgdate to 10.6.xx will Freehand just refuse to work ?

B) If I manage to get a MBP and get SN on it, with an Intel chipset, will FH work OK ? I know there is a patch from Adobe for SN, I am assuming Intel Chipset is OK ?

C) So sorry to ask what has been asked before, but I work by myself for myself and £700 - £800 on a used MBP is a big deal for me.

Thank you all so much for any advice in advance, what a real pain. I buy FH, I buy the Mac, and yet I am only the customer, just not important these days !

Cheers everyone,

Bish.
Motoeuro

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FH Rosetta, 10.6, confused, help !

Postby FFH Thü » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Bish
You are right, you can not buy a new MacBook or MacMini or iMac and install Snow Leopard. Most actual Macs do not run with a system older than the one it comes with. Well, not precisely right; There are workarounds. Some people installed 10.6 on new Macs but then they lost about 20% or 30% of processor speed because 10.6 has not the right drivers.

However, as you need something economic anyway, a second hand Mac is a good solution. You could get a 10.6 install disc second hand too, with some luck you get it together with the hardware.

Also right, 10.6 has Rosetta only as an option. Standard installed 10.6 does not have it but when using a PPC app for the first time, the system asks if you want to install Rosetta, which is then downloaded from Apple. Some people said this download does not work anymore. But you also find Rosetta on the install disc in "optional packages".
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Motoeuro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 pm

thank you for your reply :)

I have managed to track down a new MBP with 10.6, last one the UK ! It was ready to back to Apple to be upgraded to ML and sold via Apples refub centre, so either this is a real stoke of luck or, well, lets not go there !

Many thnaks indeed,

All the best

Bish.
Motoeuro

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby blanka2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 am

The new Mini's still run Snow Leopard. It takes a second mac to do the installation though, but it is not too difficult.
blanka2

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum