Change font size
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:26 am

FreeHand support

Bulk convert thousands of FH files to .ai, .pdf , other ?

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Bulk convert thousands of FH files to .ai, .pdf , other ?

Postby neil poulton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi,
As someone who has been using FHand on the Mac since Aldus #2, I have a very large number of FH files which I would like to convert to a Lion readable format. If possible, without the page format exploding.
Many of the files are multi-pages. And I'm talking about thousands of files, so individually importing/exporting each file isn't realistic.
Current workaround is…err… to not upgrade Snow Leopard on one Mac, still running FH10 (not MX), but this is obviously a temporary solution.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

N
neil poulton

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Bulk convert thousands of FH files to .ai, .pdf , other

Postby giolou » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:43 pm

this is a great question. i am placing my obligatory post here because i'd like to see the answers... thanks!
giolou

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby robert-t » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Illustator CS 5.5 does: Keeping all pages with different sizes. Loosing all styles, but keeping layers and colours and symbols. Object styles can be reconstructed and can be re-assigned to the objects: Select them by line or fill or level or ... . Text styles are kept and can be adapted, but text "moves" on the layout, because the containers have different behavior. Text mostly must be relocated. Probably Illustrator 6 does it better? It is supposed to be faster. I do not know, because: No experience. In my opinion: This can not be done automatically.

My experience is converting maps: One day to reconstruct the file Structure with levels, Styles, symbols and colours. Several ours to convert a big map. An amount of time per area to reconstruct the map. But actually I do not know any software that does it better. There is some cartographic software, that is told to be better, but actually there is al lot of conversion to do in each and none of them does it automatically.

If you only have “pictures“ and graphic, that does not to be handled anymore in many details, because it is finished, I would convert it to clean pdfs.
This can not be done fully automatically, because Freehand has not the option to a serial-export as, e.g. ".eps". ".eps" can be converted to pdf with Acrobat distiller hot folders, which can be converted by illustrator by using scripts or actions. This way looses levels, symbols, colour-names and styles.

But – if anyone has any other opinion or idea: I am ready to learn and I am very interested in, really.

Robert
robert-t

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby neil poulton » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 am

Hi,
Robert-t, you've exactly identified the problem which I called "the page format exploding" - it's the text and color graduates which "explode" -ie import unpredictably into Illustrator. As you know, you have to individually open and "repair" each and every page.
Because I have a huge number of multiple-page files, I'm thinking more of a solution using scripting, Apple Script or Automator (?) to bulk convert the files. The end destination doesn't necessarily have to be Illustrator - the idea is to bulk import the files into a Lion readable format, which can still be modified. (Vectorizing the text with the "Text To Paths" command isn't an option, nor is exporting in an image format - because the conversion has to be done manually for each page and then, the text is no longer modifiable).
There's may be a workaround exporting to/from some other Vectorial software - maybe with Corel ? Or using a series of scripts ? Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
N
neil poulton

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Monika Gause » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Currently there are only few file formats at least partial suitable for cross-application, cross-platform file editing:

SVG: which is RGB-only
PDF: which was never meant for editing purposes
EPS: which is about dead and doesn't support ICC color profiles or transparency

all of them don't support all of the "live" attributes most vector software offers (like multiple strokes or effects).

So when converting files you will need a dedicated target format, as there is no generic one.

I would be interested in the color shifting you notice when onverting to Illustrator , could you elaborate on that? Of course there are several other problems in this conversion ...
Monika Gause

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby neil poulton » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Monika,
The "color graduates" import problem is that Illustrator "bands" or "steps" color graduations that are smooth in Freehand. It's not my biggest problem.
I'm trying to find a way to bulk process over 16 000 multi-page Mac Freehand files into a MacOSX Lion readable format. I don't want to have to treat each file individually.
It's actually a Rosetta problem which could be overcome if someone could find a way to implement Rosetta in Lion. (ie if you could run FH natively in Lion).
I don't need or want cross-platform files, but I wouldn't rule out using a PC to do the actual conversion.
Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks,
N
neil poulton

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Ixax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:23 am

I'm also interested in this. I have 75 files I'd like to convert. I'm not sure which version of Freehand they were created in, but the creation date was 1993 and I typically used a current version. They are in B&W and a few with gradients, but if I could just get the B&Ws converted I'd be happy. Wouldn't it be great if someone could do this as a service?

Thanks everyone! Ixax
Ixax

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum